Dog age calculator and dog age chart: Most dog owners think that calculating the age of dogs years in human years is quite simple, which by multiplying their dog age by seven. However, this is not quite right. Consequently, dog owners may ask: How do dog years work? How to calculate dog years? and How old is my dog in human years? In this short article, we will answer these questions. Even more, we provide a dog years to human years chart and dog years to human years calculator by month and year.
In short: one dog year is equal to seven human years is a myth. In fact, dog matures at an early age much faster than humans and differs between dog breeds. In addition, Dog teeth nature and veterinary can guess your dog age. Moreover, the dog’s average lifespan is around 15 years. Finally, any dog breeder can use a dog’s age calculator and chart to guess their dog years in human years.
How Do Dog Years Work?
There’s a general myth that 1 year for a dog is equal to 7 human years, but it’s more complicated than that. To illustrate, dogs are aging much faster during a dog’s first two years than humans do. After that, every year of the dog’s age is roughly equal to the same percentage increase each time a year is added to the dog’s age.
However, it differs between dog breeds as follows:
- The large dog breeds mature faster, but it tends to live shorter lives. To clarify, when large dog breeds reach the age of 5 or 6 they are considered as senior stage dogs.
- The medium-sized dog breeds may take somehow around seven years to reach the senior stage dogs.
- The small and toy dog breeds do not reach a seniors stage until around 9 to 10 age years.
A dog’s average lifespan is around 12 or 15 years. However as we mentioned before, it differs between dog breeds. The larger your dog is, the less time it will live. Whereas, female dogs tend to live a little longer than male dogs.
How Old Is My Dog In Human Years?
Many agree that a pretty good guess to know the age of dogs years to human years, which can be known as following:
- The first year of medium-sized dog’s life is equal to about 15 human years.
- The second-year for a dog is equaled to about nine in human years.
- After that, each dog year would be approximately four to seven human years.
In addition, if you have a dog or puppy and don’t know its age, you can still guess its age, even if you don’t know its birth date.
The dog teeth should give a good guess of its age. However, it will vary from dog to dog and the kind of dental care, which as follows:
- 8 weeks all dog teeth are in.
- 7 months all permanent dog teeth are in, which also white, and clean.
- 1-2 years the Teeth are dull and the back teeth might be yellowing.
- 3-5 years: teeth may have more tartar and some dental wear. This may change according to the degree of dental care.
- 5-10 years the appearance of wear and signs of disease increases.
- 10-15 years: Teeth are worn out and likely heavy tartar build-up and some teeth may missed.
The veterinary can also guess your dog age based on physical exams and tests, which will take a look at muscles, internal organs bones, and joints. To clarify, these are signs of dog age.
- Gray hair on muzzle, face, head, and body.
- Cloudy eyes
- Stiff legs
- Loose skin
Be aware that senior dogs may sign of aging.
Although these are still simple ways, they are much more accurate than one doge year is equal to the seven human years method.
Since these ways take into consideration the maturity rate at the beginning of a dog’s life and also the slowing of the aging process in his later years, it feels that this is the more accurate calculation for the age of dog years to human years.
How To Calculate Dog Years?
In a much easy and simple way, the following calculator and chart will give you a much more accurate result.
Dog Year To Human Year Calculator:
The dog years to human years calculator below will let you discover your dog age in human age.
Dog Year To Human Year Chart:
The chart below presents the dog year in the human year.
|A 1-year-old dog is equal to a 15-year-old human.||A 9-year-old dog is equal to a 56-year-old human.|
|A 2-year-old dog is equal to a 24-year-old human.||A 10-year-old dog is equal to a 60-year-old human.|
|A 3-year-old dog is equal to a 28-year-old human.||An 11-year-old dog is equal to a 65-year-old human.|
|A 4-year-old dog is equal to a 32-year-old human.||A 12-year-old dog is equal to a 69-year-old human.|
|A 5-year-old dog is equal to a 36-year-old human.||A 13-year-old dog is equal to a 74-year-old human.|
|A 6-year-old dog is equal to a 42-year-old human.||A 14-year-old dog is equal to a 78-year-old human.|
|A 7-year-old dog is equal to a 47-year-old human.||A 15-year-old dog is equal to an 83-year-old human.|
|An 8-year-old dog is equal to a 51-year-old human.||A 16-year-old dog is equal to an 87-year-old human.|
Thus, we have provided approximate methods that generally calculate dog years to humans years. In the future, we may add more charts that include all sizes of dogs.